Established in 1990, by artists for artists, Backwater Artists Group provide a stable and supportive working environment for visual artists and access to the supports and skills needed to establish, expand and sustain their studio practice. Our studio complex is located in Cork City Centre and includes 28 studios, a darkroom, an exhibition/project space, a computer room and a woodwork area. We currently support 73 artists through our studios, our darkroom and our network.
About the role
This job will be located on our premises in Wandesford Quay. The Studio Manager will be responsible for ensuring smooth operations in the day-to-day running of our facilities including our office and our facilities. The Studio Manager will manage our waiting lists, ensure that studio spaces are filled, deal with queries with regard to becoming a member, send out application forms and manage our open calls. The Studio Manager will assist the Studio Director to ensure up to date Health & Safety policies and procedures are in place and take a proactive approach to Health & Safety in the building. The Studio Manager will liaise with our Caretaker/Facilities Manager on building operations, health & safety and upkeep. The Studio Manager will assist the Studio Director in organising financial systems, including monthly accounts and processing members fee payments and invoices.
- Ensure the smooth running of the day-to-day operations of Backwater Artists Group.
- General office duties such as answering the telephone, using the email system, liaising with staff and artists, printing exhibition information, filing as appropriate, submitting metre readings and working out electricity and gas bills for the complex.
- Assisting the Studio Director in organising financial systems and in monitoring finances, including tracking income and expenditure, processing invoices and payments, generating monthly internal reports, and preparation of information towards annual end of year audited accounts.
- Membership: Deal with membership queries, send out application forms, manage open calls, schedule inductions, manage our waiting list, members lists, assigning keys and fobs, drafting licences, organising collection of keys and fobs and keep records up to date.
- Liaise with our Caretaker/Facilities Manager on all aspects pertaining to the upkeep of the building.
- Ensure all facilities are in good working order and report to the Studio Director if necessary.
- Ensure studios are left as found when artists are leaving the studios.
- Being aware of disability and access requirements
- Assist the Studio Director in overseeing Health & Safety. Ensure Health & Safety procedures are in place and followed. Organise Training when necessary.
- Contribute to the writing of funding proposals where necessary.
- Assisting the team with the administration required for the planning and delivery of the Backwater Exhibition & Engagement programme when necessary.
- Assisting at opening events and other events including Culture Night and Heritage Day when required.
- Assisting the Communications & Marketing Co-ordinator with the promotion of Backwater events where necessary.
- Liaise with the team in all aspects of the organisation of our annual Winter Salon fundraising event.
- All other duties as required.
- A minimum of 3 years administration/office management experience
- Experience with Accounts/Budget Management
- High Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Indesign)
- Good Knowledge of Health & Safety protocols
- Experience working with artists is desirable
- Knowledge and experience in building management is desirable
- Highly motivated with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Capable of working on your own initiative and as part of a team.
- Be well organised with the ability to multitask, prioritise, meet deadlines and manage managing a busy workload.
Hours: 21 Hours per week (3 days)
Salary: €18 per hour
Please send a Cover Letter and CV to: Elaine Coakley, Studio Director, Backwater Artists Group, Cork by email to email@example.com. Contact phone no. 021-4961002
Advertise: 20 December 2022
Deadline for applicants: 16 January 2023
Interviews: 30 January 2023
Notified: 13 February 2023
Start Date: 28 February 2023 (depending on whether notice needs to be served)