Become A Member
How It Works
Backwater supports artists at all stages of their careers, to produce innovative, high quality and accomplished work. We ensure that artists have access to excellent working conditions, equipment and facilities relevant to artists needs, and we facilitate in house and off site exhibition opportunities, and provide opportunities for artists to grow, learn and develop. We welcome new members through yearly open calls and continuous recruitment depending on the membership type.
We currently provide support for 72 members through our different memberships.
- Short-term Studio Membership (ongoing)
- 4 year Studio Membership (We advertise for available studios every 1-2 years.)
- 8 year Studio Membership
- 12 year Studio Membership
- Sharer Studio Membership
- Darkroom Membership (We advertise for available darkroom memberships every year.)
- Backwater Artists Network Membership (ongoing)
- Ciarán Langford Memorial Bursary Award (awarded annually to graduates of MTU Crawford College of Art & Design)
- Moving Image Bursary Award (awarded annually to graduates of MTU Crawford College of Art & Design)
- Backwater Studios Graduate Residency Award (awarded annually to two graduates by MTU Crawford College of Art & Design)
The criteria used to assess applications for studio membership are as follows:
- The artists is a practicing professional artist
- Quality of work as indicated by portfolio
- The artist must have a proven need for a studio space
- The artist must be willing to contribute to the studio group
- Overall quality of application
Sign Up Now
If you are interested in becoming a member of Backwater Artists Group, please email email@example.com for more information.