An initiative by Backwater Artists Group
Visibility/Networking/Promotion/Access/Exhibition & Residency Opportunities/Professional Development/Events
The Backwater Artists Network (BAN) offers a shared city centre focal point and opportunities to connect for professional artists working in isolation from studios in their own homes or in single privately rented studios.
Backwater Artists Group are committed to addressing the needs of artists through the promotion of improved structures and by presenting artists with opportunities to grow, learn and develop. We have been asked by many artists over the years to set up this network and now approaching our 30 Year Anniversary in 2020, we are finally in position to reach out to the wider community and offer the benefits of our expertise and collective experience.
Membership of the network will present artists working outside of the studio group, with the opportunity to connect to a well-established artists community in the heart of Cork city. It will present opportunities for artists to meet each other at social, learning or discursive events and to learn from other invited artists and arts professionals. Visibility, promotion, exhibition and residency opportunities are also on offer, as well as discounted rates for specialist workshops and courses run by BAG. Access to curators, support from the BAG administration and access to facilities and equipment is also on offer. As the network develops BAG hopes to add opportunities including an international residency opportunity. We will remain open to suggestions from network members based on individual’s needs.
What is on offer?
Visibility / Information
- Profile page on Backwater Artists Group website
- Automatic subscription to exclusive BAN monthly e-newsletter which will inform you about up and coming BAN members events and opportunities. This will also feature a monthly profile of a BAN member.
- Automatic subscription to Backwater e-newsletter including invitations to upcoming exhibitions, talks, workshops etc at Backwater.
Exclusive BAN events
- Four seasonal networking lunches: Depending on the number of confirmed attendees these lunches will take place in Studio 12, the Backwater Artists Group exhibition/project space (sponsored food/potluck) or at a larger venue courtesy of our sponsors. Scheduled dates: Spring lunch 26 March 2020, Summer Lunch 4 June 2020, Autumn lunch 8 October 2020, Winter lunch 17 December 2020.
- BAN artist talks series at Scrypt Café, Triskel Art Centre beginning Mon evening 20 January 2020. Each evening will feature two BAN members. Proposals welcome from December 2019.
- Scheduled group crits: to be arranged in consultation with BAN membership and facilitated by a sub-committee of Backwater members.
- Discussion groups: to be proposed by BAN members
- Opportunity to propose artwork for inclusion in annual BAN group exhibition at Backwater and/or off-site venue. Next call for submissions due Spring 2020 for exhibition running 22 October – 20 November 2020.
- Opportunity to submit artwork to sell in the Backwater annual Winter Salon fundraising exhibition. Next call for submissions due October 2020 for Winter Salon in December 2020. Sales: Artist 50%/Backwater 50%.
- Eligibility to submit a proposal for a solo/group exhibition/event as part of the annual Studio 12 project/exhibition space programme. Next call for submissions due Spring 2020 for 2021 programme.
BAN Project Residency
- Eligibility to apply for a dedicated Backwater Artist Network project studio residency (6 months) at Backwater Artist Group: Please note this residency is at rate of €70, half standard studio rental rate. Two slots available in May 2020. Taking applications from January 2020.
Workshops / CPD
- Reduced members rate for Backwater Continued Professional Development workshops. Scheduled for 2020: Introduction to Digital Photography for Artists, Introduction to preparing proposals/applications, Online marketing for artists. More to be confirmed.
- Access to curators through annual Backwater curatorial programme (2 curator talks per year and associated studio visits by application)
- Reduced members rates for workshops and courses (e.g. Read That Image bookbinding workshop, Wet-Collodian Photographic workshop)
- Host your own workshops (rental of venue at a discounted members rate plus free advertising through our social media channels)
Other: Backwater look forward to getting to know its new members and discussing possible additions to the annual BAN programme of events.
€8.33 per month (Payable in advance by one annual instalment of €100 by direct debit) OR €10 per month (Payable in advance by monthly instalments by direct debit)
How to apply
Please include an artist CV as well as a portfolio or examples of your artwork. These items can be sent as separate documents but should be listed in the form in the spaces provided.
Information session / informal lunch December 2019
You are welcome to attend an information session and informal buffet lunch this December 12th 2019 at 1pm in the Studio 12 exhibition/project space, First Floor, Backwater Artists Group, Wandesford Quay.