Bríanna Ní Léanacháin
Bríanna Ní Léanacháin is a visual artist based in Cork city. She is a recent graduate of Crawford College of Art and Design where she received a first-class honours BA (Hons) Fine Art degree. She received several awards and residencies for her work, Ina Ghrian, Ina Tír, Ina Chliabhán, exhibited in the 2021 Degree Show. Including the Ciarán Langford Memorial Bursary from Backwater Artists Group, the Lens Based Award from the Cork Film Centre, the Printmaking Graduate Residency at CCAD 2021-2022, MTU Purchase Prize Award and Longlisted for the RDS Graduate Awards. Her work was recently exhibited in Lismore Castle Arts; upcoming exhibitions include the James Barry Exhibition Centre and a solo show in Studio 12.
My most recent body of work is rooted in personal experiences of home, identity, ‘Irishness’ and seeks to explore the position and experience of the female in traditional and contemporary Irish culture. The work investigates the nostalgia propagated by romanticised notions of traditional Irish identity and deconstructs the inherent patriarchal discourses associated with rural Ireland. I displace domestic labours within the rural landscape, challenging traditional tropes of the landscape as a female space and seeking to reclaim this feminine space and emphasise the ‘invisible’ labour of women in rural homeplaces. The materiality of the work attempts to evoke a merging of the domestic and the rural spaces as I reclaim and reconstitute these spaces as a site of convergence.
I am currently excitedly reentering the world of research as I indulge my acute interest in Irish folklore, history, and the Irish language. My practice includes performance, sound, printmaking, sculpture, digital and analogue photography, video and text.
Awards & Exhibitions
- Ciarán Langford Memorial Bursary from Backwater Artists Group
- Lens Based Award from the Cork Film Centre
- Longlisted for the 2021 RDS Graduate Awards
- Printmaking Graduate Residency at CCAD 2021-2022
- MTU Purchase Prize Award
- 2018 – Showcase – Lavit Gallery
- 2019 – Hausu Collective Exhibition
- 2019 – Touch, Travelling exhibition with Crawford College of Art and Design Textile Department to Latvia and Estonia
- 2021 – Subject to Change – 2021 CCAD Degree Show
- 2021 – HAUSU@CYPRUS – Cyprus Avenue
- 2021 – Origins 2021 – St Carthage Hall, Lismore
- 2022 – Ar Scath A Chéile / In Each Other’s Shadow – James Barry Exhibition Centre, Cork
- 2022 – Upcoming solo show in Backwater