Located in an old 3 story warehouse and former grainstore on Wandesford Quay in the heart of Cork City Centre, Backwater Artists Group provides a stable and supportive environment for artists, for the production of visual art and for the establishment of a professional art practice.
Backwater currently supports 45 artists working in many different disciplines including painting, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, metalwork, photography, mixed-media installation and new media through studio and/or darkroom provision.
Our studio facility consists of 28 studios in total comprising of 6 sculpture bays and 22 painting/mixed media studios, a darkroom, a digital suite/meeting room, a woodwork area and an exhibition/project space, Studio 12.
Membership of the group provides artists with access to a creative community, and an invaluable platform from which to share skills and ideas and make contacts. It also enables studio artists to draw on our wealth of experience and expertise. Our city centre location ensures easy access to the cultural landscape of the city for artists.
Our supports include:
- the provision of high-quality affordable studio spaces
- access to facilities relevant to artists individual needs including a darkroom, an exhibition/project space and a digital suite
- access to opportunities such as exhibitions, curators, professional development
- access to information relevant to the establishment of a professional art practice
- promotion opportunities through our website and social media channels
- advocacy for artists
- supports for graduates through our Bursary and Post Graduate programmes
Backwater would like to thank The Arts Council of Ireland & Cork City Council for their continued support.