THE HUMAN ANIMAL
22 Feb – 12 Nov 2021
In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic a core strand of Backwater’s 2021 artistic programme examines humanity’s relationship with the natural world and takes a closer look at ‘the human animal’ in this context. The Human Animal: A Personal View of the Human Species is a 1994 television documentary series written and presented by zoologist, ethologist and surrealist painter Desmond Morris. He described the series and accompanying book as “A study of human behaviour from a zoological perspective”. According to Morris this approach “[puts] us in our place as part of the scheme of nature on the planet earth”. He sees us as one animal amongst many. Read more.
The Human Animal, Backwater’s 2021 artistic programme is supported by an Arts Council of Ireland Project Award and through the Cork City Council Project Scheme.
1-5 Mar: Paul Carroll | Redd, featuring Chris Moody – Art Short – Online event
- Zoom event: Paul Carroll in conversation with Chris Moody. Wednesday 3 March, 6pm. WATCH VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/528784199
8-12 Mar: Helen O’Shea & ‘Natureculture reading’ – Art Short – Online event
- Zoom event: Helen O’Shea artist talk, Tuesday 9 March, 6pm. For Zoom invitation email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zoom event: ‘Natureculture reading’ group’ discusses it dazzles me slowly by Rosie O’Reilly, Wednesday 10 March, 6pm. Read text in advance. For Zoom invitation email email@example.com.
15-19 Mar: Carolyn Collier | In the making – Art Short – Online event
- Live Online Performance, Thursday, 18 March, 3pm. WATCH VIDEO: http://carolyn-collier.com/backwater-artist-residency
22 Mar-9 Apr: Carol Anne Connolly & Fiona Kelly | Below, and Time Between – Online event
- Online exhibition available from 22 March, 9am
- Video podcast featuring the artists in conversation with curator and art critic Sarah Kelleher, Available from 29 March, 9am. WATCH VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/529304084
12 Apr – 7 May: Katrīna Tračuma | Beasts – Online event
- Online exhibition available from 12 April, 9am. VIEW EXHIBITION: http://backwaterartists.ie/the-human-animal/beasts-katrina-tracuma/
- Zoom event featuring virtual tour and conversation between the artist and guest Sandris Ādminis, social activist and producer of the Zootehnikums, a Latvian radio show that reports on human-animal relations 22 April, 1pm. Register for this free online Zoom event on eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/149831087817
10 Jun – 9 Jul: Padraic Barrett | The Engineering of Consent – Offsite event
10 Sep – 8 Oct: Deirdre Frost
14 Oct–12 Nov: Helen Farrell | Fetter